Boston Jewish Film is located in West Newton, MA
Do you share our passion for independent film? Are you ready to use your skills and experience to increase our impact in the community? Boston Jewish Film offers the finest in film programming, education, and conversation to audiences across the Greater Boston community. Created in 1989 as The Boston Jewish Film Festival, we are now the largest film-based organization in New England, welcoming more than 15,000 annually. From year-round premieres and events to our marquee Fall Festival, we host screenings, multi-media presentations, live podcasts, music and dance performances, discussions with filmmakers, and ReelAbilities Boston—our city’s disability film festival. Boston Jewish Film invites you to celebrate the global Jewish experience and Go Beyond the Screen. We are located a short walk from the West Newton commuter rail station, as well as MBTA bus #553 and #554. Free parking!
To apply for a job or internship, please send your resume and a cover letter to info [@] bostonjfilm.org. No phone calls please. Boston Jewish Film follows an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical or cognitive disability, veteran status, or marital status.
Full-Time Development Assistant
Boston Jewish Film celebrates the richness of the Jewish experience through film and media. With 10,000 tickets sold to our programs throughout the year, we are one of the preeminent Arts and Culture organizations in the Boston area.
Now in our 32nd year, we are seeking a highly-motivated individual to help us reach our Development goals. The Development Assistant is a key member of the team working to ensure Boston Jewish Film’s financial long-term sustainability. This full-time position reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for ongoing administrative and fundraising tasks, including management of fundraising database Salesforce; recordkeeping of institutional, individual and public donor records; preparation of acknowledgement of grants and donations; preparation of development reports and mailings; coordination of annual appeals; prospect research; and assistance on special events.
This position offers the opportunity to become deeply engaged with the fundamental strategic processes and implementation of fund development for an established Jewish arts and cultural organization with a growing community impact through 3 annual Film Festivals, fundraising events and multiple community partnership events.
- Manage fundraising database, including update of donor records and preparation of donor, financial and ad hoc reports.
- Oversee and assist in generating donor acknowledgements.
- Responsible for gift processing, including liaising with the Finance Department.
- Conduct individual and institutional prospect research to ensure steady pipeline of potential support.
- Assist with the preparation of outreach materials, donor appeals, grant submissions and report materials.
- Engage with attendees and venue services staff to gather metrics and anecdotes that enhance appeals, requests and reports.
- Assist with solicitation mailings, including two annual appeals and Festival pass acquisition.
- Collaborate with the Director of Production and Marketing Manager to ensure timely updates to the Boston Jewish Film database for all e-communications and mailings.
- Assist with the coordination on special events for donor cultivation, fundraisers, and member events, including Spring and Fall events, Opening Night, and Mid-Fest events.
- Overall administrative and support assistance to the Boston Jewish Film Development Department.
- Learning best fundraising practices from Boston Jewish Film Executive Director and Board Development Committee.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two years’ relevant experience in the development field, nonprofit space, or administrative field
- Strong interest in nonprofit development and administration and a willingness to learn
- Ability to passionately represent Boston Jewish Film’s mission
- Ability to work individually and collaboratively
- Available for occasional evening events, such as film festival and fundraising events.
- Ability to multi-task and bring jobs to completion
- Experience managing confidential information with discretion
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills; ability to communicate information clearly (both written and oral)
- Ability to build and maintain relationships and interact effectively with donors and donor prospects
- Proficiency in multiple computer and database systems including but not limited to Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Power Point, word-processing, spreadsheets, database; knowledge of fundraising software like Salesforce a plus
- Creative approach to problem solving and can-do attitude
- Ability to work as a team member, supporting department events and initiatives
- Knowledge of the Jewish Philanthropic Community a plus
Salary commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Boston Jewish Film is the largest film-based organization in New England. Over 15,000 people attend our events year-round, including our annual fall Festival each November. Boston Jewish Film has several unpaid internship positions available throughout the year. We have openings in the following areas:
- Festival Research & Administration
- Marketing & Graphic Design
We are looking for interns with a passion for film or arts administration/marketing, who want to learn first-hand how film festivals work. Interns typically work two days (8-10 hours) per week in a lively, fast-paced environment.
We are seeking a highly-motivated individual who is interested in arts and culture fundraising and gaining experience in Development Administration. Reporting to the Development Officer, this role will be focused on data entry and prospect research to support the cultivation, solicitation and stewarding of existing donors, and managing data within the organization’s CRM Salesforce system. Estimated numbers of hours is between 10-20, which may fluctuate, increasing in the summer and fall.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support and execute processes regarding acknowledgements, recognition and continued stewardship of donors
- Produce research profiles for donor prospects and current donors
- Assist with mailings of marketing materials, cultivation and stewardship materials for donors
- Attend festival screenings, and represent the organization at events, accompanied by Boston Jewish Film staff
- Current college student, or college graduate
- Must be a fluent English speaker
- Able to self-prioritize, and work independently and as part of a small office team
- Availability for meetings and events on some evenings and weekends
- Professional demeanor, impeccable oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with donor databases. SalesForce experience a plus
- Passion for the mission of Boston Jewish Film. Arts interest experience a plus. Jewish background not required
- Special consideration for someone with previous experience in non-profit fundraising, business development, or a similar field
- Valid driver’s license, and reliable transportation preferred
Festival Research & Administration Intern
Help us choose the films for one of New England’s largest film festivals! Boston Jewish Film is seeking interns to help us seek out new films. Working side-by-side with the Artistic Director, you will:
- Research new films
- Contact directors, producers, and distributors to obtain screening links
- Pre-screen films and prepare screening notes
- Organize and maintain the online film library
Marketing & Graphic Design Intern
Help us expand the audience for Boston Jewish Film! Working side-by-side with the Director of Marketing you will:
- Create and send weekly e-newsletters
- Update the Boston Jewish Film website
- Promote our events and engage with our filmgoers on our social media platforms
- Manage calendar listings for all events
- Assist in creating and designing printed flyers, signage, and online marketing collateral
- Assist with public relations outreach as needed